Saturday, November 28, 2015

Johannesburg Drama

November 28. Johannesburg drama. 10:30 trip to the airport with luggage checked and double checked and weight distributed as best as possible. We had one extra bag which cost 250R, a bargain! But I've sworn that NEXT time I'll SHIP an empty bag! We're acquiring a strange collection of odd suitcases. Thank heavens for a wonderful porter who knew his way around. While there was a loooong line at the SAA counter, he slipped us thru the back and to a double secret station... we took a few minutes as John had to go over to pay the additional baggage fee, but it was smooth sailing all the way. My biggest trauma was the SAA habit of pulling people out of the line once they have checked your ticket for boarding and sending you to have your carry-on weighed! I was over, but just by a kilo and was told they were going to have to check my bag. It was my roll aboard with make up and jewelry, I went back intent on unpacking what I could and putting it in my "purse" which is a big tote, with my 311 bag and purse in it. He chased after me, apologized and let me through. It was a short 2 hour flight and once we landed, claimed our luggage (my bag was THE LAST to arrive on the carousel!) we headed off to see if we couldn't find our hotel, the Intercontinental - supposedly at the airport. After asking for directions, we found it across the street and simply rolled the cart with all of the luggage to the hotel!

It was a great hotel. We were up and settled in the room in no time, and then back downstairs to the bar. John had beer, well one little itsy, bitsy shot of single malt neither of us had heard of - Jury Scotch, which neither of us liked, and I had our bartender, Jabo, make me a delicious Cosmopolitan... again from scratch with no mix, and it was delicious. The second one was just as delicious!

Dinner at 7:00 and we were so impressed with the meal. It was a fitting way to end our stay in South Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment