Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Looking Back

March 29 - Disembarkation day was, as usual, a lot of waiting and sitting - we were given colored and numbered luggage tags to assist in getting everyone off in a timely manner. Since we had no flight to catch and simply had a car waiting, we were some of the last to disembark. One lovely thing about the delay in getting off was that I got to see Stoyan, the bar manager as he was leaving the ship and,  a very nice unexpected surprise, Daniella, VP of F&B was just getting back on after vacation! So we had a little chat.

Murphy's, Hudson's and Macchi's were able to gather all of their luggage, some ten or so bags, and the van found us waiting at the curb. It was a very artful (and snug) packing job!

It was about 11:00 a.m. when we made it home and sorted out our luggage and got it all into the house.

We called the Vet immediately to arrange to pick up Guinness and Lacey, but we were told they wouldn't be ready till 3:00 p.m.. We reached a compromise of 12:30 p.m.. 

I was ever so pleased to be at home again, after 25 days, it was time. Our own bed, our own stuff, more clothes, my own washer! It struck me as I wandered from room to room checking on things, that I love my house. I only wished it came with all of the benefits of Regent!  I love the service; having Julius and Roger to care for the room, fresh sheets daily, having the incredible, fantastic buffets for breakfast and lunch, the specialty restaurants as well as the Compass Rose, and Peter's Cosmopolitans, Rosetta's or Kir Imperials. Oh...and the lovely wines offered at lunch and dinner. Even the shows and after dinner entertainment. Although John and I don't often join in, it's quite nice to have it available!

I miss the easy, relaxed, quite routine we fall into at sea, I miss the adventure of seeing new places and meeting new people! It would be hard to imagine the cruise without Danny and Alison! Such fun! A St. Patrick's Day we won't forget!  Most of all, I miss the learning. There is such a big wide world out there, and so very much to learn about people, places and things! It's hard to imagine not traveling. 

Just as I suspected... it was quite a shock getting home. We met the Hudson's and Murphy's for dinner Friday night for the Murphy's last farewell; with a 5:00 a.m. flight to Boston I won't be at the gate waving good bye! Saturday arrived and I still didn't touch my bags. My cold returned with a vengeance and the unpacking would have to wait. Sunday morning I finally started to unpack, slowly.  Sunday afternoon we got ourself together for Easter Sunday at Scott and Lisette's home and, from a quiet dinner for six, it turned into a wild Cuban Easter.  Children running and screaming so high on sugar, they are probably still bouncing off the walls. Just about all the Miami relatives showed up to eat. Spanish, English and Spanglish were all part of the conversation; two labs, one Yorkie  and dinner for 20 with something for everyone including two cakes to help celebrate Scott's birthday!  I was exhausted from just trying to keep track of what was going on! Quite a change from the calm, serene Seven Seas Mariner...

Can't wait to go again! Maybe Europe - that seems out of favor this year! But I'm grounded until our dog sitter Lilia is back in action!

No comments:

Post a Comment