Thursday, January 12, 2017

Patti’s Pre-Penguin Party

Happy 2017... it’s strange, I’m not exactly sure how I got here. I remember decorating for Christmas early this year... I was all set (or mostly set) by Thanksgiving; then there was this road trip to South Carolina for a pre-Christmas visit to our daughter, husband and grand-daughter... back home the week of Christmas, and a mad flurry of baking and panic to finish up last Christmas minute details. Christmas was bright, shiny and fun-filled with champagne, presents, toys and, of course, whining! Exhausting to say the least! Heaven knows how people with really large families manage. I think I’d just gotten the French Silk pie covered and the dishes put away, when our good friends, the Delmonico’s arrived for New Year’s from Connecticut.

About that time I started to feel a bit peaked; it didn’t get better, even with a plethora of medications from CVS’s aisle 6 working on a cure; it got worse, and worse, and worse... by Wednesday after Christmas I was pretty much dead. Coughing all the time, generally miserable and sharing my misery to anyone that showed even the slightest bit of sympathy. I finally relented and allowed myself to be kidnapped for a doctor’s appointment New Year’s Eve; I couldn’t even sit up in the exam room! For 10 days I’ve been on all sorts of medication that warns you about driving and operating heavy machinery, and points out that it may cause drowsiness or breathing problems, dizziness and lightheadedness, and possibly death. I am slowly improving. I can sit up now, am sleeping less than 14 hours a day, and much to my distress, seem to have regained my appetite!

Best of all... I’ve regained my wits enough to realize I’ll be CRUISING IN LESS THAN ONE MONTH! ONE MONTH! Just before Christmas an opportunity popped up on Crystal Cruises for South America, 23-days, Valparaiso to Buenos Aires and we grabbed it. I’m so excited I don’t know whether to scream or eat a banana parfait! This cruise will be pretty much the last piece of South America having done Miami to Lima, then Rio to Miami. And there is so much to see.

While in the Peace Corps, John was able to see the Chilean Fjords as far as Puerto Montt, and then crossed the lakes to Buenos Aires. He has talked of how incredibly beauty of the Andes bordering the Chilean Lake district; far beyond anything we’ve seen in Alaska. And, then there is the excitement of the Drake Passage! From what I understand, Drake Passage is a coin toss: either smooth as glass, or the whole tossing up thing! I’m excited to see the incredible wildlife and explore the “unknown” in luxury. Never in my wildest dreams would I have thought I’d be headed for Antarctica! We will be joining the 2017 World Cruise: Serenity’s Southern Celebration... if only I could manage the full 94 days! But with 23 days there’ll be plenty of explore, so much to discover, so much to look forward to. Oh, and now there is the added excitement of the Larson C Ice Shelf; now connected by just 12 miles to the rest of the continent! Now that’s exciting!

I’m thrilled to be cruising on Crystal again! It's been just over 4 years since we took an abbreviated cruise with American Express for their Ambassador program, which was discontinued shortly thereafter. We cruised up the coast on the Crystal Symphony from New York to Halifax and loved it! The ship was immaculate, the crew delightful, and dining diving! This trip will give us the chance to relax, and really get to know the ship and her staff & crew in our new home.

When last we cruised, drinks were not included, nor was the internet. Edie Rodriguez had yet to be named COO & President, nor had her vision of luxury been introduced. Since Edie joined Crystal, the changes continue to brand Crystal as outstanding in the luxury cruise market. Now with Crystal River Cruises, Crystal Yacht Expedition Cruises, Crystal Luxury Air, and Crystal Residences, the competition seems to be fading into the background.

I’ve made our initial arrangements for our specialty dinners, and have a request in for the Vintage Room on my birthday. But since I’m not reserving the whole room, we’ll have to see if there are enough requests to warrent Crystal arranging for a dinner.

The only shore excursions we have prebooked are the Tierra del Fuego & King Penguins by Helicopter – I’m thrilled, John not so much – he’s never been on a helicopter! We have a second shore excursion halfway booked; they confirm John, but I am waitlisted... Helicopter flightseeing and Andes landing! I’m sure we’ll have a solution before we leave, or I will have to waitlist both of us and keep my fingers crossed!

It’s starting to come together as I have began sorting clothes (boots or no boots?) and beginning to “stage” my preliminary selection in the guest bedroom; probably enough to fill 15 trunks and 10 large suitcases! And, after battling bronchitis, a visit to my pulmonologist I finally getting some energy back and seem to be on track for a full recovery with time to spare!

I’m so excited! I’m going to be cruising!

No comments:

Post a Comment