Monday, February 22, 2016

It's going to be a GREAT trip!

February 22, 2016 - It’s been wild and crazy around the Macchi’s household! The Brazilian Visa scheduled for pick up on February 17 is done! Bathroom completed, done! Birthday celebration for friends and family, done!

Picking up the Brazilian visa was as I suspected... take a number, sit and wait. Although I was number 5 it went quickly — no more than 10 minutes! Hey, I had practice from the application process! I can’t quite understand why Brazil would approve anyone into their country with the photo on my visa is beyond me... it looks as if I just escaped from prison and was on the run, headed for deepest, darkest Brazil to hide in the jungle and mine for jewels for the rest of my life! But I now have my “extended play” passport, all 52 pages, stamped, visa-ed and ready for the Brazilian adventure. AND, a week or so after the new the passport arrived, the passport center returned my old one - I’m thrilled as I haven’t had the chance to check out all of my cool entrance and exit stamps from the last trip. Besides, when I get really old (as opposed to just old) and forget my name, I’ll be able to review my old passports and see where I’ve been!

I took a day last week and started the “cruise closet” just to see if I could get an idea of what I’d like to take. Uh oh, there’s a lot of weeding out I need to do! And the shoes! Holy Toledo! Control yourself Patti! Work to do there – I’m in big trouble!

This time next week we’ll be in the full, last minute panic mode before we leave for Rio at 9:50 pm on March 1 via American Airlines MIA/GIG! We’re really in the final countdown... we have partied all weekend (plus) with a delayed birthday celebration, but with most revelers now gone, it's time to get busy with the details of travel.

Our housekeeper is still out of commission, so the little fuzzy Yorkie darlings are headed for the vets. I called the Vet to secure the “Mastiff Suite” for the puppies with VIP/TLC treatment (extra walks, extra treats, brushing each evening, chats, lots of pets, hugs and belly rubs). I also called to order a St. Patrick’s Day shirt for our March 17th on board, as well as every mosquito repellant known to man and now I’m catching up with you all. It’s going to be a GREAT trip!

We arrive in Rio at o’dark-thirty and it’s doubtful that our accommodations will be ready and with almost two full days in Rio before we board the Mariner, we’ll have time to see a little of Rio. We’ve made arrangements in Rio for a day tour to Christ the Redeemer and Sugar Loaf Mountain and we’re most eager to see Moasteiro de Sao Bento with its magnificent Baroque interior. Plenty of time to sample a few local specialties, particularly the Caipirnha. And since you know me well enough by now, I won’t even bother to mention a trip to the Rio Sur with maybe a peek at H. Stern’s or Amsterdam Sauer... the stores will even organize a special jewelry tour for you! Oh my! However, I have a feeling that this is going to be my Havaianas cruise instead of razzle-dazzle jewelry cruise... we’ll just have to see!

Our selected Shore Excursions with Regent have all cleared with the exception of one; the Bacardi Rum factory tour in San Juan... but we can always opt to grab a cab and do a private tour if we are so inclined. I’m still waffling.

We start with the Highlights of Recife and Olinda which includes the Golden Chapel and the 16th century colonial town of Olinda with its historic city center founded in 1534, now a UNESCO world historical monument.

In Manaus for two days, we have chosen Meeting of the Waters taking us on riverboats and motorized canoes to cruise the narrow channels in the forest to see the giant water lilies before seeing the Meeting of the Waters, where the dark, clear Rio Negro and the yellow Solimoes flow side by side for several miles before merging, it's the official starting point of the Amazon. The second day in Manaus, we are touring the Highlights of Manaus; the yellow colored Alfandega (the custom house built by the British in 1902), the famous Opera House, Teatro Amazonas, and the Indian Museum and the Military Zoo, where you will be able to view the various colonels and generals overthrown in the last revolution, or probably more likely, some of Brazil’s exotic fauna. 

The small village of Parintins on Tupinambarana Island is our next stop where we’ve arranged to “sample” the Amazonian folklore; I’ll let you know all about the Boi Bumba once I know what it ‘tis! There are sure to be colorful costumes, some singing and hopefully a local drink or two!

In Santarem (dating back to 1661, it’s become one of Brazil’s most important trading centers that’s rich in legend and nature) we have chosen the River Tour and Eco Maica Lake. We explore the lakes and vegetation of the Tapajos and Amazonas rivers... another meeting of the waters where they run side by side and, if conditions permit, we’ll learn to fish for the fearsome piranha! Hopefully it’s doesn’t involve throwing someone overboard!

Barbados brings us to a quick Discover Barbados that will take us through the sugar cane fields and quaint villages from the Atlantic breakers to the sandy beaches and hotels on the Caribbean side... we visit St. John’s church and enjoy a cool drink at the Highlands Center.
Antigua... we have a Champagne & Lobster Catamaran cruise arranged with a cruise along the beautiful coast to Deep Bay Beach (don’t forget there are 365 beaches in Antigua), followed by a lobster feast with champagne! This is the life!

San Juan – this is the one place we are still wait listed for the Bacardi Distillery, but my back-up is an El Yunque Rainforest tour! Hope it is better that the birdwatching expedition in Africa... remember the chickens? I just may opt out of all excursions here and visit the old town, and have lunch at El Convento... a favorite of mine.

Nassau is our last port of call, and I’m definitely opting out of any organized excursions. I have plans to head for Atlantis, walk through the aquarium and its 14 lagoons, 8 million gallons of salt water with more than 50,000 aquatic animals from over 250 marine species!  What a fantastic ending to what I know will be a magnificent cruise!

Join me at www.perx.com and follow along with Patti’s Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment